From the moment
I wrote on Mrs. Francescutti’s chalkboard during student teaching
I knew one thing was real:
I fell in love with you.
A love so deep I gave you my all–
To my loneliness and energy.
As a twenty-something
at the beginnings of their journeys.
And so I learned.
You demanded everything.
because you yielded so much more.
I taught through the fatigue and hurt
alive as you’ve made me feel.
You gave me my be-the-change-you-wish-to-see dream,
and I’ll always love you for it.
But this year’s crisis challenged me to my core.
And that is going to have to be OK.
It’s so unlike me, but I’m ready for this year to end.
All that we have.
And we both know, no matter what the summer and fall bring…
Page after page after page.
Love you always,
(my copycat poem of “Dear Basketball” by Kobe Bryant)
Here is the LAST official roundup of literacy links for the 2019-2020 year if you’re looking for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- Print out my reading doodles, color them in, and then follow this student’s video tutorial to make your OWN stickers!
- Also: I’m teaching TWO Harry Potter-themed enrichment courses this summer: Read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and Games and Crafts for Potterheads!
- Reading and Writing Camp with Jennifer Serravallo this summer for teachers
- Virtual Poetry Institute from PoFo (let me know if you need the registration code!)
- Start a Teacher Notebook from Pencil Pages and Practice
- “5 Ways I Became a Teacher-Writer (& You Can Too!)” from Donnetta Norris
- amazing resource: Honoring Black Lives Virtual Library from #classroombookaday creator, Jillian Heise
- Mental health break: “blessing the boats” by Lucille Clifton