This week, the second grade team at my school asked for online book club info, so I rounded up my go-to resources in my free version of Padlet (I maxed out my Padlets, and I refuse to pay $8 per month right now): videos of book clubs in action for students to analyze and infer, some organizational tools, accountable talk stems, Learning Progressions from the Units of Study, discussion prompts, and my favorite assessment tools. The only grade-level specific tool is the Learning Progressions: I find them SO helpful in providing a focus for a reading unit. Choose 3-5 different topics from the Learning Progressions and your minilessons will have more focus and potency. It’s definitely a work in progress, so check later for more resources!
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- An hour-long Writing Workshop PD from TCRWP featuring pandemic journals, letter-writing, and gratitude writing
- Flyleaf Publishing has digitized some decodable texts and NO LOGIN REQUIRED – music to my screen-fatigued ears
- “The Four E’s of Creativity” from 4 O’clock Faculty
- “7 Strategies Designed to Engage Students in Synchronous Online Discussions” from Caitlin Tucker
- “How to Create a Joyful Virtual Classroom Community” – a webinar from edWeb
- Mental health break – Danny DeVito recording the audiobook for The One and Only Bob