This summer, I’m participating in some summer work focused on Cultivating Genius by Dr. Gholdy Muhammad. Our second Zoom discussion is next week, so I’m putting together my thoughts based on the assigned reading. I love this reflection question so much: How does this lesson help students see themselves or others? I used Canva to make a visual reminder for myself (And others! Choose your OWN colors!) to guide my lesson planning. Adding this prompt to my teaching brain will bring Dr. Rudine Sims Bishop’s idea of mirrors and windows to my classrooms.
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links if you’re looking for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- I’m going to lean on a few of the ideas in “5 Ways to Audit Your Classroom Library for Inclusivity” for my upcoming HQTS!
- “The Best Teacher Podcasts for 2021”
- I love these school-wide habits and accompanying book recommendations from the #classroombookaday Facebook community (Join today!)
- A presentation called “Creating a Classroom Where Readers Flourish” from the Book Whisperer herself, Donalyn Miller – I can see sharing some of these slides with families!
- “Quick Help for Blending Challenges” has some GREAT tips and engaging activities!
- I couldn’t agree more.
- My next Family Writing Night–sorted.
- “12 Questions To Ask When Designing Culturally and Responsive Curriculum” from Dr. Gholdy Muhammed – #2 and #9
- Mental health break: Best first day ever