As a literacy coach, I usually have to stretch across six grades, so it’s a treat to focus on a single grade level this year. I’m pumped to be assigned to second grade for hybrid support, but the coach in me can’t help not coaching. As such, I’ve decided to develop toolkits for reading and writing. I’m going to pull from lots of sources: The Literacy Continuum, the Units of Study, and more. First up? Creating a fiction learning progression and nonfiction learning progression (only available to LPS teachers since we have already purchased the Units of Study for our teachers) to help teachers choose focuses for units, conferences, or read alouds. This may just become one of my goals this year…
Here is the first official roundup of literacy links of the 2020-2021 school year if you’re looking for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- Children’s books to help celebrate Latinx month.
- Come Together Through Reading from Epic!
- Another $25 Zoom with writing teachers, Carl Anderson and Matt Glover, about using mentor texts. Register HERE.
- Some sentences are FULL of craft moves. I LOVE this idea of imitating a well-crafted mentor sentence’s moves! The reflection questions are on point, too!
- Mental health break: This might just be my favorite video of the year. I’ve already watched it four times.