Last week, I hosted my first Writing Clinic. Its focus was conferring, which I believe is the heart of Writers’ Workshop (looks like the blog, Two Writing Teachers, agrees with me in the latest post, “Conferring Notes: The Key to Unit Planning”). Entire grade level teams attended the first clinic, and everyone left with a tool to support their conferring. Some even realized the tools could be transferred to other content areas as well! That’s what I call high leverage tool action! After the clinic, I displayed all of the materials and supplies in the teachers’ workroom in case they missed it and wanted to DIY the tools. Can’t wait for the next session on November 25th!
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- “Content-Area Writing is ‘Thinking Written Down'”
- “Make Writing: What? Why? How?” from Angela Stockman – maker spaces as writing inspiration
- “5 Reasons Your Child Should Read Graphic Novels”
- “Positive Feedback that Moves Writers” from Two Writing Teachers – perfect complement to my first Writing Clinic on Conferring and Small Groups!
- Mental health break: Online quiz from Booksource – “Which fictional teacher from children’s literature are you?”