Waking up before sunrise to get a front row seat to hear Jason Reynolds at TCRWP’s Saturday Reunion was ABSOLUTELY worth it! What a keynote! Moving, enigmatic, funny, nostalgic, and POWERFUL. I couldn’t even take notes because I was so absorbed in his words. Words that I haven’t been able to stop thinking about since…wow.
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- “The Five Kinds of Nonfiction” by Melissa Stewart
- “Teaching the Five Kinds of Nonfiction” by Melissa Stewart – she’s totally hooking teachers up with this post!
- And this one from her, too: “Twenty Great Expository Nonfiction Read Alouds”
- Fascinating. I think back to my earliest classrooms and cringe at the disservice I did them by having read alouds dominated by fiction.
- After last week’s culturally responsive PD, I especially want to get this new book from Lester Laminack and Katie Kelly.
- How I Write a Blog Post – I can envision adapting this to a minilesson for students and also using it for my own writing!
- Mental health break – School culture matters and makes an impact!