The highlight of last week was the final session of the High Quality Teacher Share I led called “Making a Literacy Toolkit”. The five participants, teachers from kindergarten to fourth grade, worked on Tuesday afternoons for ten weeks on a literacy toolkit of their choosing. For our final session, we laid out our toolkits for a gallery walk. My favorite part was asking them to leave words of praise or encouragement for each other in a little envelope that could be added to their toolkits as a reminder of their hard and amazing work. Brava, teachers!
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- Middle Grade @ Heart – Twitter account focusing on book recommendations for middle grades
- Lucy Calkins has some wise words about teachers leaning ON each other.
- Some more wise words, this time from Jason Reynolds, about how poetry can be the gateway texts for bibliophiles.
- Want some reading conferences inspiration from Jennifer Serravallo? Tune in on Facebook on Wednesday, 3/20 from 8:00-8:30.
- Information about writing instruction and support to share with families from Two Writing Teachers:
- Mental Health Break – a homeless, 8 year-old refugee is a chess champion