Last weekend I attended the first-ever virtual Saturday Reunion from Teachers College Reading and Writing Project. Lucy Calkins had very powerful closing remarks that landed just right. Teaching is tough in The Now. Our elementary schools are about to bring back K-2 students (mostly) full-time. Lots of changes ahead for everyone that I know we’ll manage. But it’s still a lot to handle. Her message was reassuring: It doesn’t have to be perfect. Just show up. After drying my tears, I made this poster to hang on my door as a reminder as we continue teaching during a pandemic.
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links if you’re looking for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- Mass Audobon’s Nature Play Days has loads of structured and unstructured nature play ideas for school and home!
- An online word builder from UFLI
- I just realized that a handful of BookBuilder‘s personalized books are available for free right now!
- Blank shared reading lesson plan template from Pioneer Valley Books
- “Three Classroom Games for Literacy Learning and Laughter” from Choice Literacy
- Mental health break – Lucy Calkins’s closing remarks at the October 17, 2020 Saturday Reunion