Google Hangout, or G-Hang as I’m calling it, with the Center School Grade 5 rockstars!
What a year the past week has been! At this time last week, I was prepping for a full day of PD that I was slated to co-lead with the other literacy coaches. By the end of the day though, I’d completely abandoned those plans and started collecting all of the resources for online learning I’d been retweeting. They are now all being collected (because it’s an ongoing project!) on this Padlet:
Although this journey has been a whirlwind and my mind is flooded, one idea that keeps floating to the surface is connection, connection, connection. So I started a Flipgrid that I’m calling “Center School Connection Zone“.
Flipgrid is an awesome platform that allows people to post video responses, so it’ll give us a chance to see and asynchronously (<–anyone else learn this word this week?!) interact with each other. This Flipgrid is password protected, so check your email to gain access! I miss you, cardinals! Be well…<3
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- “Rethinking Materials, Routines, and Collaboration: What Does Independence and Interdependence Look Like From Home” – Leave it to the blog, Two Writing Teachers, to offer some guidance for teachers during this uncertain time. ❤
- “What Teachers in China Have Learned in the Past Month” from Edutopia – So many interesting points to consider!
- “A Short List of Distance Learning Ideas” from Two Writing Teachers
- Kylene Beers is hosting thirty minute PD with educelebs like Donnalyn Miller and Cornelius Minor about ways to support students at home on her Facebook page each day this week at 3:00.
- “A 5-Step Guide to Making Your Own Instructional Videos” from Edutopia
- Some ideas for teaching the Units of Study online.
- Remote Education Resource Center from University of Albany School of Education
- Even though Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher teach secondary students, I find their wisdom transcends grade levels. They’re posting 30 minute PD discussions for teacher everyday on her YouTube channel. Totally worth tuning in!
- “Teaching the Photo Essay” from We Are Teachers – I’m DEF going to develop a unit plan around this idea!
- Mental health break (BECAUSE I NEED IT NOW MORE THAN EVER) – Wellington the rock penguin! and rock penguins going down the stairs!