I love Open House! When I was a classroom teacher, I documented “A Day in the Life of a Student in Ms. Vigna’s Class” with pictures, student work, and resources. Since I don’t have a classroom anymore (sniff, sniff!), I’m preparing the Connector, the underground tunnel connecting the two wings of our school, to be a land of literacy resources. The first addition to the hallway is a “Books are mirrors, windows, and doors” display inspired by Dr. Rudine Bishop Sims and graphic artist Grant Snider. If you’re a Center School family member, PLEASE visit me in the Connector. I’d LOVE to talk with your about supporting your cardinal’s reading and writing!
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- Fall 2019’s picture book new releases
- A webinar with Fountas and Pinnell on reading levels on 9/23 at 4pm! Here’s their description: “Text levels are far more than a “number,” “score,” or “label.” Join Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell, creators of the F&P Text Level Gradient™, for an important conversation on the power and purpose of TEXT LEVELS. Monday, 9/23 at 4pm EST.” Register here.
- “Spicing Up Revision” from Two Writing Teachers
- “PS – READING GRAPHIC NOVELS IS READING.”
- Kate DiCamillo’s book tour for Beverly Right Here, the third installment in her friendship series starring Raymie, Louisiana, and Beverly, is coming to Amherst in November!
- Mental Health Break – “A garbage man saved 25,000 books and turned them into a library”