Welcome back, Center School! I hope you had spectacular vacations and read lots of great books. The day before spring break, the Reading Ambassadors hosted their spirit day: “Dress up like a favorite book character.” They even created a great photobooth backdrop using pages of discarded books. So many students popped by for a snap!
Here is two weeks (I came across some great resources over break!) of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- List of graphic novels for K-2 from ALSC
- List of graphic novels for grades 3-5 from ALSC
- Best Children’s Books of the Year from Bank Street College of Education
- Need a fun way to teach metaphors? Try Metaphor Dice!
- Lesson Plans: Teaching and Learning with the New York Times
- Scholastic Book Warehouse Sale – the closest one is in West Hartford on May 8th
- Travel around the world with picture books – includes printable library list
- “A Few Ideas to Help Students Read Over the Summer” from Pernille Ripp
- Mental health break – “Draw the world the way you want to see it.” – Oliver Jeffers