Students as content creators is my jam. This week, my WINners (OMG, I’m totally calling them that from now on!) are working through the writing process to develop book recommendations of favorite books from their childhoods. On this WINners desk, we see a marked up text full of his reading thinking, pre-writing using a graphic organizer of his choice that we modeled, a flash draft, and a personal revising and editing checklists for himself, a partner, and the teacher. The WINners’ recommendations are going to be published in a book that will be on display in the library along with all of the books. We’re also giving a copy of the book recommendations to each kindergarten class to inspire their independent reading selections.
Here is this week’s roundup of literacy links for some quick inspiration, tips, and refreshment:
- LOVE – Helping Students Make Winter Break Reading Plans from teacher, Colby Sharp
- “Alexa, play the Harry Potter Quiz”
- Add to cart, Lin-Manuel Miranda fans
- Ten Creative Ways to End a Semester
- People ask me for Diary of a Wimpy Kid next reads a lot, and I recommend these books a lot, especially the last one
- This list (and all of the other lists at the bottom). I. Want. Every. Single. Book.
- Mental health break – hat tip to Charlene Griffin for this resource